Trending

Newsletter

Peru’s Attorney General Orders Detainment of Former President Humala and Wife

By: Sabrina Martín - @SabrinaMartinR - Jul 12, 2017, 10:21 am
Detainment of Former President Humala
The Prosecutor’s Office of Peru filed an arrest warrant against former president Ollanta Humala and his wife Nadine Heredia.

EspañolFormer President of Peru Ollanta Humala and his wife Nadine Heredia now have warrants out for their arrest following charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit a crime, the trials for which will be held 18 months from now.

The Prosecutor’s Office of Peru filed an arrest warrant against former president Ollanta Humala and his wife Nadine Heredia to prevent them from leaving the country until then. They have been charged with money laundering and illicit conspiracy to commit a crime.

Germás Juárez, in charge of money laundering cases for the country’s Attorney General’s Office, originally filed the case before Judge Richard Concepcion Carhuancho after officials discovered illegal campaign contributions had been made in 2006 and 2011.

The Brazilian construction company Odebrecht, which has caused bribery scandals across Latin America, allegedly gave US $3 million to Humala, and disguised them as campaign contributions. Humala and his wife have reportedly denied all allegations against them.

The judge will call a public hearing Thursday, July 13, in order to hear the request of the Public Prosecutor’s Office, as well as the couple’s lawyers. Because the alleged crimes took place before Humala became president, he is not protected by any form of executive privilege.

Officials are reportedly worried the former head of state may flee the country with his wife. For this reason, prosecutors are seeking the 18 months of preventive custody. Humala and his wife said they’ve been complying with the investigation, and think 18 months of prison time is unnecessary.

“We’re complying with all of the prosecutor’s orders,” he said. “We’ve been collaborating with the investigation because we have the biggest stake in this being cleared up.”

Still, preventive custody looks like a real possibility with testimony from former Odebrecht CEO Marcelo Odebrecht and statements from other informants about illegal campaign donations.

Sources: El ComercioLa República

Sabrina Martín Sabrina Martín

Sabrina Martín is a Venezuelan journalist, commentator, and editor based in Valencia with experience in corporate communication. Follow @SabrinaMartinR.

FARC Dissidents Still Armed, Causing Violence in Colombia

By: Felipe Fernández - @Ffernandezp - Jul 12, 2017, 10:01 am
disidencia

EspañolSome dissident members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia have reportedly reached the guerrilla group's weapon caches, despite the government's efforts to complete a disarmament. A new military intelligence report details how some dissidents of the FARC managed to locate batches of hidden weapons, and may be purchasing more from outside the country. googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1459522593195-0'); }); Though not many arms remain in those caches, military sources said evidence suggests FARC dissidents have accessed them using information passed through the rest of the guerrilla group's ranks. An investigation is also currently under way to determine if the dissidents have purchased arms from outside the country. Security forces confirmed that they are working on identifying routes used by dissidents to traffic and store weapons and other materials that could pose a threat to the nation's peace. Read More: UN Points to El Salvador Gangs as Key Link to Cross-Continent Drug Trafficking Read More: Colombia: ELN Continues to Kidnap, with Recent Abduction of Venezuelan National Defense Minister Luis Carlos Villegas confirmed to Blu Radio that the dissidents — mainly the First and Fourteenth Front in the Department of Guaviare and the municipality of San Vicente del Caguán — have made their presence known by accessing those weapon caches. "We are on top of the routes that can lead to new weapons," the Minister said. Last week, Army officials also seized 8,000 explosives and cartridges of various calibers belonging to dissidents of the seventh front of the FARC in the Department of Caquetá. Sources: : El Tiempo, Blu Radio

Weekly E-Newsletter

Get the latest from PanAm Post direct to your inbox!

We will never share your email with anyone.