Trending

Newsletter

Cuban Army Officers Take Part in Venezuela’s Military Drills for “Imperialist Invasion”

By: Sabrina Martín - @SabrinaMartinR - Jan 16, 2017, 10:02 am
Venezuela's Military Drills
Some 580,000 soldiers and civilians participated in different maneuvers that were broadcast on radio and television, while President Maduro called on the country to defend against an oil-motivated invasion of “the empire.” (Telesur)

EspañolVice Minister of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Cuba supervised Venezuela’s military drills in preparation for the country’s supposed invasion.

Joaquín Quintas, the General of the Cuba’s army corp, traveled Saturday, January 14 to a Venezuela military base on the island of La Orchila, to which only high-standing officials of the country have access.

joaquin quintas - venezuela- ejercicios militares
Juaquín Quintas visiting the idsland of La Orchila (Martí Noticias)

Quintas came with other officers, many of which reportedly specialize in strategic defense, and oversee defense operations of an exercise named “Zamora 200.”

Some 580,000 soldiers and civilians participated in different maneuvers that were broadcast on radio and television, while President Maduro called on the country to defend against an oil-motivated invasion of “the empire.”

Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino López said the exercises are intended to “face the nature of the aggression we are suffering and that we are living.”

This is not the first time Maduro’s administration has mentioned a supposed war as an excuse for mobilizing hundreds of soldiers.

On March 14, 2015, a special exercise was carried out at the national level, in which eighty thousand soldiers and twenty thousand civilians participated in a training exercise for the population in defense of sovereignty, and under the notion that a war had been declared by the United States on Venezuela.

The Venezuelan government broadcasted simulations of bombings, sabotage and kidnappings on national television to prepare for a US attempt at invasion — the defense against which involved militias made up partly of civil society.

 

The same day, a military official died and two others were injured when a tank fell into the Sanare River in the state of Apure.

At that time, photographs circulated social media that showed women dressed for battle, equipped with high heels and purses.

Two years after those “military exercises,” Maduro’s administration appears to be back at it, despite being unable to show any real evidence of an invasion attempt by the United States or other external threats.

Sources: Martí Noticias; Runrunes

Sabrina Martín Sabrina Martín

Sabrina Martín is a Venezuelan journalist, commentator, and editor based in Valencia with experience in corporate communication. Follow @SabrinaMartinR.

Colombian Army Says FARC Violated Ceasefire

By: Karina Martín - Jan 16, 2017, 8:20 am
30/07/2010 Columna guerrillera de las FARC.

El exmagistrado y actual asesor del Tribunal Penal Internacional de La Haya Baltasar Garzón ha considerado imprescindible para lograr la Paz en Colombia que haya "una declaración de culpabilidad" contra las Fuerzas Armadas de Revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC) por sus crímenes contra la Humanidad.

POLITICA COLOMBIA SUDAMÉRICA INTERNACIONAL
REUTERS

EspañolThe Revolutionary Armed Forces were involved in an armed confrontation last week, according to Colombian military officials, which is a violation of the peace deal met with the Colombia government. Colombia's Monitoring and Verification Mechanism that oversees compliance with the FARC cease-fire reported this weekend that it is checking into the armed altercation, which resulted in two deaths. An MMV report said there were confrontations between two armed groups near San Vicente del Caguán, an area historically known for its guerrilla influence. Read More: Macri Maintains Kirchner Era Price Controls in Argentina Read More: Mauricio Macri: Argentine Labor Market Needs Urgent Reforms Officials stressed that it is a violation of the FARC ceasefire for guerrillas to use their weapons, "even against dissent," and that is is an obligation of public safety and armed forces to persecute anyone who has committed a crime. MMV officials said that once further verification has been obtained, more details will be made known to the public. According to the document, the events apparently occurred "on the 'The Celestial Bride' and 'Thailand roads.'" googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1459522593195-0'); });   The General Command of the Armed Forces' statement regarding the event said the fighting was denounced by the San Vicente del Caguán community, and reiterated the importance of fulfilling parts of the agreement involving gathering guerrillas so as to differentiate between those who do and do not accept the peace agreement. Source: El Nuevo Siglo.

Weekly E-Newsletter

Get the latest from PanAm Post direct to your inbox!

We will never share your email with anyone.