Trending

Newsletter

Brazil’s Michel Temer Facing Impeachment for Influence Peddling

By: Sabrina Martín - @SabrinaMartinR - Nov 25, 2016, 4:12 pm
Opposition starts impeachment proceedings.
The opposition Workers’ Party has demanded impeachment proceedings against President Michel Temer (El Billuyo).

Español

The presidency of Michel Temer is hanging by a thread, after he has been accused of influence peddling, revealed in a series of damning recordings.

His former Minister of Culture, Marcelo Calero, resigned last week and denounced the current Brazilian president for allegedly pressing him to aid the construction of a building owned by another cabinet member, Geddel Vieira Lima.

The building in question is a 30 story skyscraper called “La Vue”, which Geddel intends to build in Salvador (the capital of the state of Bahia), in a place where such structures are currently prohibited because the area is a national historical heritage and world heritage site.

The opposition, led by the Workers’ Party (PT), announced that it will call for the opening of impeachment proceedings against Temer for influence peddling.

“The president used his position to defend private interests, that is a crime of state responsibility, Calero’s statement to the police is a scandal, I hope Congress will judge Temer,” said Senator Lindbergh Farias of the PT.

This morning the Attorney General’s Office requested the opening of an investigation into Temer for a crime of responsibility and will also investigate Vieira Lima and Eliseu Padilha, another key member of Temer’s government.

The opposition is bringing the case on grounds of Article 321 of Brazil‘s Criminal Code, where it is judged as a serious crime “to sponsor directly or indirectly the private interest before the public administration, using one’s official position.”

This Friday, November 25, Minister Geddel Vieira Lima resigned. Lima and Temer have been accused of colluding to flout zoning norms, in order to construct a large scale real estate project in an area restricted for historic and cultural preservation.

In his letter of resignation, Lima said that the accusations are a matter of “interpretation” and said he left office for the good of his family.

Sabrina Martín Sabrina Martín

Sabrina Martín is a Venezuelan journalist, commentator, and editor based in Valencia with experience in corporate communication. Follow @SabrinaMartinR.

Argentinean Senate Blocks E-Voting Bill

By: Raquel García - @venturaG79 - Nov 25, 2016, 2:39 pm
The Secretary for Political Affairs, Adrian Perez, insisted that the government will keep working to "end the theft of ballots, the poor counting, delay in results and collection lists". (Alertaonline)

EspañolArgentina's senate voted down an electoral reform proposal that included the implementation of single electronic ballots. Many are calling the decision a political defeat for Mauricio Macri, who backed the reform, and which was heavily opposed by the Kirchner bloc, known as the Front for Victory. Thursday, November 26, the political party made its majority status in the Senate known by holding off the initiative, based on the testimony of computer experts and their explanations regarding "the high vulnerability of some of the proposed methods" involved in the electronic voting ballots. The Peronists reportedly  guaranteed their support for the reform, but decided yesterday to boycott it. Experts only seemed to be on board with an effort to "continue analyzing tools that will improve the electoral system." googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1459522593195-0'); }); The ruling party strategy will reportedly involve "exposing" all those who prefer to continue using paper ballots questioned during the 2015 elections. Read more: Why Inflation in Argentina Is Far From Being Tamed The Secretary of Political Affairs Adrián Pérez was the first to take initiative against those who rejected electoral reform, telling La Nación that the senators and governors of the Justicialista Party "gave a clear signal that they prefer to maintain their feudal power in many provinces rather than meet the citizen's demand for clean, equitable and transparent elections." President Macri told both Perez and Interior Minister Rogelio Frigerio that they must go ahead with steps to approve the reform. Read more: Cristina Kirchner's Mother Hit With Corruption Scandal in Argentina "We will be able to approve it in the long run," he said, "even if there is resistance. It is a citizen's demand and they have no alternative." "We will continue to work to end ballot theft, bad vote counts and delays of results,"  Pérez said. Among the governors who went back on their support include the provinces of San Juan (Sergio Uñac), Santiago del Estero (Claudia Ledesma), La Rioja (Sergio Casas) and La Pampa (Carlos Verna). This Friday, Governor of Entre Ríos Gustavo Bordet (FPV-PJ) distanced himself from his Peronist colleagues, saying that "denying technology is backward." "The current system is cumbersome and ends up delegitimizing candidacies," he reportedly said. "I understand that sooner or later this debate will have to be given up so as to improve the quality of democracy and institutions." "As in all orders of life we need technology and to deny technology is to go backward," he said on Radio Rivadavia. The bill had obtained a half-sanction in the Chamber of Deputies, but was rejected by the above-mentioned senators, with a majority in the upper house.  It will be frozen for this year in Congress, unable to be addressed in extraordinary sessions convened in December. Source: La Nación, Clarín.

Weekly E-Newsletter

Get the latest from PanAm Post direct to your inbox!

We will never share your email with anyone.