Venezuela: New Wave of Protests Met with Government Force

EspañolOn Monday, protests once again surged in Venezuela. In the western state of Barquisimetro, armed groups surrounded University Fermín Toro (UFT), throwing explosives and setting many of its buildings on fire.

In the same city, hours earlier, a group of armed civilians attacked demonstrators who were protesting a price increase in bus fares, and shot a 17-year-old student, Torbay Wilson. In the central state of Valencia, protests began yesterday morning when neighbors blocked streets ​​with barricades made up with trash and debris. The Bolivarian National Guard (GNB), along with state police forces, dispersed demonstrators with tear gas and rubber bullets, injuring four people and arresting seven.

In Táchira, where demonstrations first began in February this year, students of the Catholic University of Táchira (UCAT) took their desks out to the streets to demand an end to the suspension of classes and to protest the newly elected dean. Meanwhile, after a student assembly agreed upon an agenda of protests, students from Táchira National Experimental University (UNET) burned a gas transport truck.

Last Friday in Maracaibo, young students waved a large Venezuelan flag and banners, and demanded the release of arrested classmates. They also protested a Supreme Court ruling that supports the government’s aggressive response to demonstrations. The GNB dispersed the gathering with tear gas and arrested 12 people. One student was injured.

In Puerto Ordaz, students at the Andrés Bello Catholic University marched for the release of Xavier Beckles, a student who was arrested and now awaits trial along with seven other youths in the area. Beckles suffers from Asperger’s syndrome and his imprisonment has been criticized during several other protests.

Source: El Universal.

Subscribe free to our daily newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special reports delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time