Trending

Newsletter

Bolivian Officials Who Denounced Torture in Chile Expect Release Following Abbreviated Trial

By: Karina Martín - Jun 19, 2017, 4:57 pm
(Twitter)
Officials agreed to appear at an abbreviated trial, “which is nothing more than the use of a quick and effective mechanism to once and for all to conclude with this issue,” Bolivian Attorney General Pablo Menacho said.(Twitter)

EspañolThe nine Bolivian officials who were allegedly tortured by Chilean border security are scheduled to appear at a hearing Tuesday, June 20.

Officials agreed to appear at an abbreviated trial, “which is nothing more than the use of a quick and effective mechanism to once and for all conclude with this issue,” Bolivian Attorney General Pablo Menacho said.

The officials were allegedly stealing goods from a transport truck, which is why they were detained by Chilean law enforcement, the country’s officials have claimed. Menacho said the abberviated trial should lead to the release of the nine patrol officers.

 

The relatives of the two soldiers and seven Bolivian Customs officials said they hope the Chilean justice system will release the nine Bolivians by the time the brief trial ends.

“My dad saw my brother and he told him that they could possibly be released on Friday and they could go back to the country,” said Jhanet, the sister of Brian Leandro Quenallata Méndez, one of the detained officials.

Sara Rada, mother of Karl Guachalla, another detained official, said the only thing officials will admit to is trespassing on Chilean territory. But Bolivia refuses to believe Chile’s version of the story, claiming the officials were simply patrolling the area against smuggling.

Menacho said that going to an abbreviated trial “in no way implies the acceptance of a criminal responsibility.” Additionally, Bolivia will maintain its position “of full and total innocence, because they were performing their duties.”

Sources: El Deber; Página Siete; Opinión; Terra.

Karina Martín Karina Martín

Karina Martín is a Venezuelan reporter with the PanAm Post based in Valencia. She holds a bachelor's degree in Modern Languages from the Arturo Michelena University.

Videotapes Implicating Ecuador Officials in Odebrecht Corruption Surface in Brazil’s Probe

By: Karina Martín - Jun 19, 2017, 4:12 pm
Exdirector-de-Odebrecht-en-Ecuador-entrega-videos-de-sus-reuniones-con-politicos

EspañolA former Odebrecht executive in Ecuador has produced videotapes of his meetings with government officials. The videos are expected to reduce his sentence, as he is cooperating with the trial currently taking place in Brazil. The former executive will now reportedly receive the lowest sentence of the 77 people who have agreed to cooperate with the investigation, which is focused on the Brazilian construction company's illegal activity of making bribes in exchange for building contracts across the continent. googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1459522593195-0'); });   So far, investigations into the Odebrecht case in Ecuador have led to the imprisonment of eight people, among them an uncle of re-elected Vice President Jorge Glas and the former Minister of Electricity Alecksey Mosquera. General Comptroller Carlos Polit, who is currently outside the country, has been involved, but due to his position, he reportedly enjoys judicial privilege. "We are going after everyone who committed acts of corruption," Ecuadorian prosecutor Carlos Baca said. "We will go to all means necessary to carry out and persecute these acts of corruption, and to bring those responsible to justice." Read More: Reporters in Venezuela’s Protests Face Brutal Repression from Dictatorship Read More: PC Campus Culture Run Amok: The World Needs More Bret Weinsteins Baca is serving as the lead investigator in the case, announcing that next Tuesday, June 20, he will be traveling to Panama to meet with the country's Attorney General, Kenia Porcell, regarding the Odebrecht case. The objective of the trip is to process "all the information" currently in possession of investigators, "because 60 percent of the corruption plot arrived and went through Panamanian ports," the prosecutor said. Sources: La República; Telesur.

Weekly E-Newsletter

Get the latest from PanAm Post direct to your inbox!

We will never share your email with anyone.