Cuban Regime Threatens Reporters over Independent Magazine: “You Could End Up Like Mexican Journalists, Dead”
EspañolCuban officials put a stop to the launch of a new independent magazine after several warnings and threats to island journalists.
Five journalists were warned about starting a magazine called Identidades — or “Identities“ — which drew attention from authorities at the Department of State Security and the National Revolutionary Police May 19 and 20.
Officers for both institutions arrived at the headquarters of the Association for the Freedom of the Press to put an end to a meeting for the magazine.
Journalists Tania Díaz Castro, Daniel González Oliva, Manuel Guerra Pérez, Alejandro Hernández Cepero and Osniel Carmona Breijo were previously warned not to attend the event of the independent magazine.
President of the APLP José Antonio Fornaris said he received a telephone call from an officer with the Department of State Security, who explained that they had decided not to allow the meeting to take place.
- Read More: White House Promises Major Break with Obama’s Cuba Policy
- Read More: Russia Hints at Reopening Military Bases in Cuba, Vietnam
“At dawn, 14 police patrols were in front of the house to prevent anyone from entering,” Fornaris said.
Hernandez said he was intimidated by DSE officer Lucas when being subpoenaed at the police station, where an officer insinuated that he could “end up like Mexican journalists: dead” if he continued his work.