Trending

Newsletter

FARC Dissidents Still Armed, Causing Violence in Colombia

By: Felipe Fernández - @Ffernandezp - Jul 12, 2017, 10:01 am
Según un informe de Inteligencia militar las disidencias del grupo guerrillero de las FARC tendrían la ubicación de caletas y armamento explosivo, las primeras hipótesis es que tendrían algunas en su poder. (Youtube)
A new military intelligence report details how some dissidents of the FARC managed to locate batches of hidden weapons, and may be purchasing more from outside the country. (Youtube)

EspañolSome dissident members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia have reportedly reached the guerrilla group’s weapon caches, despite the government’s efforts to complete a disarmament.

A new military intelligence report details how some dissidents of the FARC managed to locate batches of hidden weapons, and may be purchasing more from outside the country.

Though not many arms remain in those caches, military sources said evidence suggests FARC dissidents have accessed them using information passed through the rest of the guerrilla group’s ranks. An investigation is also currently under way to determine if the dissidents have purchased arms from outside the country.

Security forces confirmed that they are working on identifying routes used by dissidents to traffic and store weapons and other materials that could pose a threat to the nation’s peace.

Defense Minister Luis Carlos Villegas confirmed to Blu Radio that the dissidents — mainly the First and Fourteenth Front in the Department of Guaviare and the municipality of San Vicente del Caguán — have made their presence known by accessing those weapon caches.

“We are on top of the routes that can lead to new weapons,” the Minister said.

Last week, Army officials also seized 8,000 explosives and cartridges of various calibers belonging to dissidents of the seventh front of the FARC in the Department of Caquetá.

Sources: El TiempoBlu Radio

Felipe Fernández Felipe Fernández

Felipe Fernández is a reporter from Colombia for the PanAm Post. He's a law student at the La Gran Colombia University in Armenia. Follow him on Twitter: @Ffernandezp

To Preserve Iran Deal, Obama Stopped Probe into Venezuela’s Ties to Hezbollah: Report

By: Sabrina Martín - @SabrinaMartinR - Jul 11, 2017, 4:00 pm
obama-hezbola-venezuela

EspañolFormer President Barack Obama stopped an investigation into links between Iran, Venezuela and the terrorist organization Hezbollah, the Spanish newspaper ABC reported this Tuesday, July 11. The Obama administration reportedly decided not to interfere with an international agreement with officials in Tehran, ordering that an investigation stop looking into what ties the Venezuelan government had with Islamic terrorism. US expert and adviser David Asher spoke to ABC about the topic. He worked for John Allen, Obama's Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIS. Asher said Obama "systematically dismantled any stakeholder action that threatened to derail the political agenda of the Iran-focused administration." According to Asher, senior security officers working with cases linked to Hezbollah, Iran and Venezuela were reassigned, and told to abandon their investigative units. googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1459522593195-0'); }); ABC reported that the abandoned investigations had to do with financial information demonstrating a connection between Venezuela and Iran. Additionally, various documents reportedly showed that the extremist group Hezbollah was laundering money obtained through drug smuggling sponsored by Venezuelan officials. Read More: UN Demands Release of Thousands of Prisoners Wrongfully Arrested in Venezuela Read More: “This is a Step Towards Liberty in Venezuela”: Political Prisoner Leopoldo Lopez "Obama not only prioritized the agreement with Iran, but also wanted to protect his other big project: opening relations with Cuba," an anonymous source told ABC. "He was soft with (Venezuela President Nicolás) Maduro, so he would not disturb the Cubans." The investigations reportedly began again when Donald Trump — who reversed many of Obama's policies on Cuba — took office. Since that time, the investigation has resulted in sanctions against Vice President Tareck El Aissami for working with Hezbollah in Venezuela. Source: ABC 

Weekly E-Newsletter

Get the latest from PanAm Post direct to your inbox!

We will never share your email with anyone.