Trending

Newsletter

Power Struggle inside Sinaloa Cartel: El Chapo’s Children Ambushed, Injured

By: Elena Toledo - @NenaToledo - Feb 9, 2017, 2:24 pm
Cártel de Sinaloa
The Mexican “capo”‘s children pointed out in a letter that there is an internal struggle for power within the Sinaloa Cartel (Proyecto 40).

EspañolInternal struggles within the Sinaloa Cartel have reached new heights, as the children of Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán were wounded last Saturday during an ambush ordered by another leader within the organization.

Dámaso López, one of the main operators of the Sinaloa Cartel, ordered an attack on the cartel leader’s children last week, in an attempt to gain power within the criminal organization.

Last Thursday, El Chapo’s children sent a handwritten letter stating they were accompanied by Ismael “The May” Zambada, partner and presumed successor of the Sinaloa Cartel, during the attack. The letter has not yet been confirmed by El Chapo’s lawyers.

When they arrived to the meeting place, Guzman’s sons noticed that Lopez was not there and the family’s personal escort was shot and instantly killed on the spot.

According to the letter, when they realized that they had been victims of “treason,” El Chapo’s children and Zambada fled, but found people armed and ready to kill under Damaso’s orders.

 

After traveling several miles, they were injured and aided by locals in a small town. It was not specified whether Zambada also was injured in the incident.

Jose Refugio, Guzman Loera’s attorney, said that though he tried to detach himself from “many issues that do not belong in a legal environment,” he said he had learned about the letter because he was close with his defendant’s family.

“It is of my knowledge that the letter is from Guzman’s children, but it is something that I do not have direct proof of,” the attorney said.

Source: El Universal

Elena Toledo Elena Toledo

Educator by trade, social-media apprentice, activist for a democratic Honduras, and free thinker. Follow her on Twitter @NenaToledo.

FARC Again Accuses Colombian Government of Violating Peace Deal

By: Julián Villabona Galarza - Feb 9, 2017, 1:45 pm
The FARC has complained about living conditions in their grouping zones where they will await reintegration into Colombian society (YouTube).

Español Once again, the FARC attacked the Colombian government, alleging that the grouping zones where they are asked to congregate do not conform to the specifications of the peace agreement. The guerrilla group said they were surprised by the conditions of the grouping zones, and blamed the government for not complying with the agreement. The main concerns of the guerrillas are the precarious conditions of their temporary living quarters. They complain that there is no drinking water, showers, toilets, or accommodation, and also complain about lack of places to cook and poor condition of access roads. Read More: FARC and Colombian Government Have Broken Peace Deal Protocol Several Times Read More: WSJ Reports Brazilian Gangs Are Recruiting FARC Members In their statement, the FARC stressed the risk posed by these conditions for female guerrillas who are pregnant or who have had their babies: a FARC demographic which has multiplied exponentially after the lifting of restrictions on childbirth and rearing by the FARC leadership. Finally, they call on the international community and Colombian political sectors to express their views on what they consider to be "state deprivation" and to improve the conditions of the rural zones where they must reintegrate into Colombian civil society, and hand over the weapons according to the terms of the Havana agreement. googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1459522593195-0'); }); So far the majority of FARC guerrillas are already in their zones of concentration. For now it is expected that the guerrilla group will begin to release the minors who have been recruited in the coming days, starting with a group that has been reputed to be comprised of 50 minors of age. This achievement has been reached by placing continuous international pressure on the FARC, which long encouraged a policy of recruiting minors of age, particularly from rural mountain and jungle regions. Juan Manuel Santos championed the agreement, which was voted down by narrow margins in a national referendum by the Colombian people. The Colombian Congress subsequently passed a new version of the peace deal. Source: RCN Radio

Weekly E-Newsletter

Get the latest from PanAm Post direct to your inbox!

We will never share your email with anyone.